Skip Navigation LinksSFCC Home Page Student Resources Support Services Disability Support Services

Disability Support Services

What is the process for being admitted to Spokane Falls Community College?

All the information you need can be found on the Testing Center web site. To summarize: Fill out a college application form; pay the application fee and an assessment fee. You will be referred to the assessment office to take the Compass Assessment. The Compass Assessment is a multiple-choice computerized test that identifies what level of Reading, English and Math is the appropriate starting point for the student.

What if I can't take a computerized test?

In some cases computerized testing is not appropriate for a student with a disability, so the Disability Support Services (DSS) office provides individualized testing through the use of the Asset Assessment. If a student has a documented disability, a history of learning difficulties, or a suspicion that one may have a disability, s/he is welcome to come to the DSS office to discuss if a testing accommodation is appropriate.

What is the difference between the Compass and the Asset assessments?

The Compass Assessment is a computerized version of the assessment test. It tests three areas of learning: reading, writing and mathematics. The student answers questions until the computer measures a predetermined number of incorrect choices, at which point, it will end that particular testing section. This process will continue for all three sections of the test.

The Asset Assessment measures the same three areas of learning, but it is the more traditional paper and pencil test in which the student circles the answer on an answer sheet. Both tests meet standardized reliability and validity criteria, and identify the courses most appropriate for the student to take in regards to English and mathematics. The student will not be able to enroll in a course more advanced than that identified by the test as the appropriate level.

What happens once I come to the Disability Support Services Office?

Intake Process
  • The student meets with either the Director/Counselor or the Program Support Supervisor. At this meeting basic information is gathered on the student's disability (via discussion and documentation review).
  • DSS services are explained and releases are signed.
  • The student's area of study is identified and an accommodation plan is worked out and agreed upon.
  • Support services in this plan are determined on an individual need basis and are re-evaluated each quarter.
  • DSS may also advise and assist the student in getting registered for classes.

What does Disability Support Services charge for their assistance?

There is no charge to the student for services provided by the Disability Support Services office. The Office of Civil Rights web site explains your rights under the law as it relates to disability issues.

Does Disability Support Services provide loans, grants or scholarships to students?

  • Disability Support Services has no funding programs; however, we can direct students to the Financial Aid Office where they can apply for Federal grants and loans.
  • Another area to investigate is the SFCC Career & Student Employment Center which keeps a list of scholarships for which students can apply.
  • Outside agencies such as Division of Vocational Rehab, DSB, or SSDI may also help out with funding for education. See the Resource Links page.

Disability parking on the SFCC campus is for any student, faculty or staff with a documented permanent or temporary disability which results in the need for more accessible parking.

State-regulated Disabled Spaces

Parking in spaces with the blue "Reserved-State Disabled Permit Required" symbol requires a current CCS permit as well as a disabled placard, or license plates, issued from the any state's Department of Motor Vehicles. Illegal parking in these spaces can result in a $250 fine from the Office of Campus Safety, and/or a $450 fine from the City of Spokane Parking Enforcement. Parking at meters requires payment, possessing a current disability placard does not negate payment at campus parking meters.

Disabled Symbol

What is documentation?

Documentation consists of diagnostic information from a licensed clinical professional familiar with the history and functional implications of your disability. This information must be submitted on the official letterhead of the professional or institution (such as a doctor, psychologist, school, or other agency) describing the disability.

What kind of documentation do I need in order to receive services?

  • Documentation must originate from a licensed physician, although the information may be obtained through third party sources, such as school or vocational rehabilitation agencies.
  • Documentation must be current. (See next question below for further explanation.)
  • Additional information may be necessary from other physicians or from other allied health care providers; for example, physical therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, audiologists, or speech pathologists.
  • Certain disabilities, which are obvious in nature, may not require documentation.

If my documentation is considered too old, do you have any suggestions for obtaining current documentation? Is there any assistance available to help pay for it?

You will have to contact your doctor or evaluator to obtain a current analysis of your condition at your cost. You may qualify for an evaluation at no cost to you if you are eligible for services through a state vocational rehabilitation agency. You may locate your state vocational rehabilitation agency through the Department of Education web page.

Will an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) qualify as documentation?

An Individualized Education Plan may help identify services that have been effective for you and may indicate a history of services, but it is generally not sufficient documentation. This is because postsecondary education presents different demands than high school, and what you need to meet these new demands may vary from what was provided to you in high school. If the documentation you have does not meet the requirements, you will be told what new or additional information needs to be supplied before services can be rendered.

What does "academic accommodations" mean?

Accommodations are those services individually determined as needed for an individual student to attain equal access to SFCC programs and services. Some examples of accommodations are: interpreter for the deaf, larger print materials, alternate testing, assistive or adaptive technology.

What academic accommodations does the school provide?

The determination of academic accommodations is based on your documentation of disability, your individual needs, and on the requirements of the courses in which you register. Academic accommodations may include volunteer note takers, sign language interpreters, alternate formatted materials, extended time for testing, scribes, use of screen-reading programs, or disability parking. Depending on the courses in which you are enrolled, these accommodations can vary from quarter to quarter.

How soon do I need to notify the Disability Support Services office that I need an academic accommodation?

It is important that you notify the DSS office of your needs as soon as possible, so there is adequate time to get the needed accommodations in place. This is particularly important if you have a visual, hearing or physical impairment that requires the ordering of special materials, the placement of assistive equipment, or the assistance of a sign language interpreter. Notification of 4 to 6 weeks is a desirable time frame.

Can courses be modified for my disability?

In providing academic accommodations, instructors are not required to lower or effect substantial modifications to the essential requirements of their courses. Students with disability are expected to fulfill the same course requirements and workload as any other student in the class.

Will you provide me with a tutor or assistant if I need one?

Services of a personal nature, such as personal attendants, tutors, readers, typists, or prescribed devices, are the responsibility of the student, and therefore are not provided by the college.

However, you can access Peer Tutoring, online tutoring, the Math Learning Center, and the Multicultural Center for tutoring.

What if the provided academic accommodation is not working and I'm having problems in my classes?

Anytime you encounter difficulty in your classes, you are welcome to come into the DSS to review your accommodations. Sometimes it's a case of trial and error to see what works best for a student in a particular class. Study skill habits are sometimes the culprit and will be reviewed if problems point in that direction.