Skip Navigation Links

Running Start Enrollment Process

What are eligibility requirements?
If the student's reading, writing, and math scores qualify for college-level courses, he/she may register for any college-level course. If the reading and writing scores qualify for college-level courses, but the math scores do not, he/she may only register for college-level courses that do not include mathematics. If the student’s math score qualifies for college-level courses, but the reading and/or writing scores do not, he/she may only register for math.

How much will it cost to attend SFCC?
Tuition costs will be paid by the state through the public school district. However, students registering for more than 18 credits in any one quarter will be responsible for paying for those additional credits. Students also are responsible for the purchase of books and supplies, which could add up to several hundred dollars each quarter. The Running Start program includes fees such as a placement test fee, and others as applicable, such as a parking permit.

What is the enrollment process?
  1. Notify your public high school counselor of your interest in the Running Start program.
  2. Complete a CCS Application for Admission form.
  3. Obtain an official copy of your high school transcript.
  4. Forward the application along with your transcript to:
    Spokane Falls Community College
    3410 W. Fort George Wright Dr. - MS 3011
    Spokane, WA 99224-5288
  5. Upon receiving an Application, the Admissions Office will send or provide you with web site information for scheduling to take the COMPASS Test. NOTE: A current application must be processed prior to scheduling a testing appointment.
  6. A letter concerning eligibility will be sent to you from SFCC. Information pertaining to a seminar, academic consulting, and registration will be sent to you at a later date.
  7. Obtain a Course Recommendation Form and Course Equivalency Form from your high school counselor. Seek advice from your high school counselor regarding course applicability and credit equivalency. Designate alternative courses on the Course Recommendation Form.
  8. Submit the Running Start Course Recommendation Form to your public high school counselor. He/she will then forward a copy of the form to SFCC.
  9. You will be required to attend a seminar before registering for classes.
  10. Purchase your textbooks at the college bookstore before the first class day.

What is the registration process?
Seminar web site information will be mailed to you for you to schedule to attend a seminar. After attending a seminar, you will be able to register for your classes. Detailed instructions on how to register will be given to you at the seminar.

Do we have to apply each quarter?
The Running Start school application is required only the first quarter. However, you must submit a new Running Start Course Recommendation form to SFCC during the registration period each quarter.

Contact Information

  • Contact your Running Start high school counselor at your student's school.
  • You may also contact Barb Hahto at SFCC:
    Phone: (509) 533-3524

Print Page